U2 @ Brisbane Entertainment Centre, Brisbane (Mon 2 Oct 1989)
This was the first ‘real’ concert I ever went to. My sister had a couple of spare tickets, so me and a mate from school went along.
I’d been a U2 fan since my sister bought The Unforgettable Fire in 1984 when I was 8 years old. Apart from Thriller, it was the first album I listened to over and over again.
What do I remember? To be honest, not a hell of a lot. I remember the lights going down and the opening keys of Where The Streets Have No Name. I remember getting goose bumps. I rmember thinking Bono’s voice sounded better live than on the record. I remember being amazed at the sound, the energy and the feeling of being at a big show. I remember thinking that although this was the first big show I’d been to, it certainly wasn’t going to be the last.
The setlist (courtesy of http://www.u2gigs.com/show755.html):
1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. I Will Follow
3. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For / Exodus (snippet)
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. God Part II
7. Desire / So You Want To Be A Rock ‘n’ Roll Star (snippet)
8. All Along The Watchtower / Like A Hurricane (snippet)
9. Help (snippet) / Bad / Walk On The Wild Side (snippet)
10. With Or Without You / Shine Like Stars (snippet)
11. Angel Of Harlem
12. When Love Comes To Town
13. Love Rescue Me
14. Bullet The Blue Sky / Whole Lotta Love (snippet)
15. Running To Stand Still
16. All I Want Is You
17. New Year’s Day
18. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Did you see U2 @ Brisbane Entertainment Centre, Brisbane (Mon 2 Oct 1989)? Tell us about it